Tomato Basil Soup is among the best of summer comfort foods! Pick up some heirloom tomatoes at your neighborhood farmers market and cook up a pot of Tomato Basil Soup . . .
Tomato Basil Soup
Five ingredients plus salt and pepper to taste. Simple. Delicious!
- 2-3 pounds ripe, juicy tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2 cups fresh basil, cut into julienne
- 3 T. cream (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
In a large pot of boiling water, drop the tomatoes; leave for 45 to 60 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. When cool, peel, seed and dice. Set aside.
In a wide soup pot over medium-low heat, add the olive oil. When the soup pot is hot, add the diced onion, cook until translucent.
Add the tomatoes and chicken stock to the pot. Reduce heat, cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
During the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking, add the basil.
At this point, you could add a few tablespoons of cream, it's optional.
With an immersion blender, puree the soup.
Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
Serve in soup bowls with freshly grated Parmesan cheese!