A red door means “welcome” in an old early American tradition. Weary travelers by horse and buggy would know that a home with a red front door was a welcoming place to rest. A red candy door on a gingerbread house carries on this friendly tradition!
Red candy doors are another fun confection to custom make for gingerbread houses. They are easy to make!
*Make ahead – the red royal icing needs plenty of time for drying(a day before and up to a couple of weeks before the gingerbread house decorating.)
- Hershey® candy bars
- One recipe of Royal icing tinted with AmeriColor® Super Red
- Candy Wreaths
Special Equipment and Supplies:
Directions for Red Candy Doors:
- Make 1 recipe of Royal icing. Combine the ingredients for a couple of minutes. The consistency should be a pourable consistency, similar to a thick syrup. Tint it with Super Red food coloring. Pour into a wide-rimmed bowl.
- Carefully break Hershey® candy bars into four pieces.
- With a dough cutter, carefully trim about 3/4″ off each end of the candy bar pieces.
- Dip candy bar pieces in the icing. Place on wire racks set over wax paper to catch the drips.
- Carefully place the candy wreaths on the doors.
- Set aside to dry overnight. When the doors are dry, gently lift away from the wire rack with a metal spatula.