“Only the pure of heart can make good soup.” – Ludwig van Beethoven
“The sweetest, juiciest part of an asparagus is in its stalk; the thicker the stalk the more of that sweet, pale green flesh there is.” says Marcella Hazan in her book, Ingredients.
How to buy asparagus:
- Purchase thin asparagus for pasta sauces, such as an asparagus, cream and prosciutto sauce, frittatas or risotto. For this use, discard half of the stalk.
- Purchase thick asparagus for use on its own, such as roasted asparagus or steamed asparagus. Be sure to peel the stalks!
How to store asparagus:
- In a jar large enough to hold the bunch of asparagus, place a crumbled piece of paper towel in it, pour in enough water to cover it by 1″, place the asparagus in it and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- It will keep for up to a week this way.
How to prepare asparagus:
- Before peeling, slice off the bottom of the thick stalk.
- If the bottom of the stalk is dry, cut off 1″ more from the bottom of the stalk.
- Using a swivel blade vegetable peeler, carefully hold the top of a piece of asparagus, remove the top layer of the dark skin, rotating the stalk of asparagus until the entire stalk’s pale core is exposed.
- Repeat with the remaining stalks of asparagus.
As Ludwig van Beethoven said, “Only the pure of heart can make good soup.” . . . make some Cream of Asparagus Soup and show your pure heart!
Cream of Asparagus Soup
Delicious asparagus soup, homemade chicken stock is the secret ingredient!
- 2 lbs. Asparagus, peeled; tips reserved and blanched for about a minute in boiling salted water
- 2 T. Butter
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 1/2 quarts Homemade chicken stock
- 1/2 Cup Heavy cream
- 1 T. Lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Salt and pepper to taste
Toppings: blanched asparagus tips and creme fraiche.
In a saucepan set over medium heat, add the butter, when it sizzles, add the onion, saute without browning.
Add the chicken stock.
Once the chicken stock is simmering, add the asparagus.
Simmer until the asparagus is tender (if it cooks too long the asparagus will change color).
Add the cream, bring to a simmer without boiling.
Puree the soup with a hand held immersion blender.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, add lemon juice.
Serve with blanched asparagus tips and creme fraiche.