Loving Red Velvet Cake with a mountain of white, fluffy icing on top! It’s the perfect cake to bake for your Valentine!
Cake Baking Tips:
- 3″ X 8″ round cake pans are an ideal size for three-layer cakes.
- Always place a round piece of parchment paper in the cake pans, spray with Pam, fill 1/2 full with cake batter, and bake in a 350º preheated oven.
- Bake the cake ahead, cool completely, wrap in foil, freeze. Take out of the freezer 3-4 hours before you frost it.
- When a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Test the oven’s temperature with an extra oven thermometer. Adjust the temperature if necessary. My oven was 75º off!
- With a long serrated knife, trim off the top mound of each cake layer.
- Be sure to make plenty of icing. Use a flat spatula to transfer each cake layer.
- A large offset spatula is the best tool for frosting a cake. Watch the video for tips on frosting the cake.
- Bake cakes for all occasions.
Loving Red Velvet Cake . . .
Red Velvet Cake
Loving Red Velvet Cake! The perfect cake to bake for your Valentine!
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 T. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup dutch processed cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups sour cream
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 dashes red food coloring
Preheat oven to 350º degrees.
Line three 8 inch round cake pans with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
Combine dry ingredients, set aside.
Mix cocoa and boiling water, set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the remaining wet ingredients; add the cocoa mixture. Gradually, add dry ingredients.
Pour batter into the prepared cake pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Ice with your favorite icing.