Loving Pink Hearts, the perfect expression of love for your Valentine! It’s not too late to bake a batch!
Growing up in Louisiana, we baked the Plain Roll-Out Cookies in the Cook’s Tour of Shreveport. For every holiday and in between, we made triple batches of cookie dough and went on week-long cookie decorating binges. Billie Apple said, “There was blue icing on the ceiling!” It was everywhere, but my mom loved to see her girls baking in her kitchen.
In all of my years of baking cookies, I have never found a better plain roll-out cookie recipe!
Here’s what you will need for Loving Pink Hearts . . .
- Follow the recipe for Plain Roll-Out Cookies, page 276 in Cook’s Tour of Shreveport.
- Use room temperature unsalted butter.
- Sift the flour four times – this makes the cookie dough light and airy.
- Mix with an electric stand mixer, but don’t over beat the cookie dough. It makes the dough tough.
- Wrap in parchment paper and chill for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Rolling out the dough – allow the chilled dough to warm up by setting it on the kitchen counter but not too long!
- Before rolling out the dough, lightly dust a Silicone Baking mat and rolling pin with flour.
- Test the oven temperature with an extra thermometer.
- Don’t over bake the cookies.
- Cool on wire racks.
- With parchment paper to separate the layers, package and freeze until ready to decorate.
Tips for icing will be on the next blog post.
Loving pink hearts — Happy Valentine’s Day!!!