Happy National Cheesecake day! Baking the perfect cheesecake to celebrate the day . . . join me!
Best Tips for baking the perfect cheesecake:
- Cream cheese and eggs should be room temperature.
- Use a springform pan.
- Don’t over mix the batter and beat on a low speed.
- Sour cream adds a creamy texture
- Lemon zest adds a citrus flavor.
- A little flour thickens the batter.
- No opening the door to peak at the cheesecake!
- Don’t over bake the cake.
- Gradually cool the cheesecake.
- Chill for 8 hours or overnight before serving.
A generous dose of lemon adds a lively flavor to this classic dessert.
- 4 8-ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 8-ounce sour cream, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 juice of 1 lemon
- 1 zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature, lightly beaten
Crust: 1 cup graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 stick(1/2 cup) butter
Preheat oven to 375Fº.
Pulse the graham crackers in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add sugar and butter, blend together.
Line a springform pan with the crumb mixture on bottom and sides. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, place the cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, flour, lemon juice, lemon zest. vanilla and salt. Beat on medium speed until combined and well blended, about 2 minutes.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Add the eggs and egg yolks one at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined. Occasionally, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Pour into the prepared crust.
*Be sure to put a pan on the rack under the cheesecake to catch any butter that seeps out of the springform pan.
Bake for 10 minutes at 375Fº. Reduce the heat to 325Fº. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn off the oven. Leave the cake in the oven to cool for 2 hours. Remove the pan from the oven, place on a wire rack and cool completely.
Cover the pan with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
Remove the collar of the springform pan.
Place the cheesecake on a cake stand or serving plate.
Slice and serve with cherry or blueberry pie filling.