Enjoy life eat chocolate! Chocolate Meringue Pie made with a creamy, chocolate filling and mile-high meringue will be enjoyed by friends and family!
Tips for easy pie baking:
- It’s easier to fit baking into a busy schedule by baking the pie crust the day before you make and serve the pie.
- Homemade or store-bought pie crust is good.
- Before you begin, read through the recipe a couple of times.
- Before you begin baking, measure all of the ingredients.
- Before you begin baking, gather all of the kitchen equipment.
Tips for mile-high meringue:
- Separate egg yolks and whites when they are cold.
- Egg whites should be room temperature for the greatest volume.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy, add the cream of tartar and salt; continue beating until soft peaks form; begin adding the sugar a couple of tablespoons at a time until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Spread the meringue to the edges of the pie crust, on all sides of the pie, otherwise it will shrink!
- Six egg whites is the secret to mile-high meringue!
Enjoy life eat chocolate!
Chocolate Meringue Pie
Here's a pie with a creamy, chocolate filling topped with mile-high meringue. Whip it up for your friends and family. The presentation is beautiful. And they will enjoy every last bite!
- 1 baked pie crust
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2.5 cups 2% or whole milk
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 T. unsalted butter
- 1 t. vanilla extract
Meringue: 6 room temperature egg whites, 1/2 t. cream of tartar, 1/4 t. salt and 3/4 cup sugar *See tips for mile-high meringue in the "Enjoy Life Eat Chocolate" post!
Prepare pie crust; cool. This may done the day before.
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
In a 2-quart saucepan set over low heat stir together the sugar, flour, and salt; stir in the milk.
Cook mixture stirring constantly. Add the chocolate; raise the heat to medium continue cooking until mixture boils and thickens (about 10 minutes).
In a small bowl, briefly whisk the egg yolks; add a small amount of the chocolate mixture, whisk together and return to the mixture to the saucepan.
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until very thick. At this point, do not boil!
Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla.
Pour into baked pie crust. Top with meringue. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes in preheated oven until lightly browned. Watch carefully!
*Meringue pies are best served on the day they are made.