Every gingerbread house needs a candy mailbox!
Six Steps To Make Candy Mailboxes For Gingerbread Houses:
- Make one batch of Royal Icing.
- Trim the end of a 12″ disposable pastry bag. Add a Wilton® #5 pastry tip. Fill halfway with Royal icing. *Optional: Tie a rubber band around the end of the pastry bag.
- With a dough cutter or sharp knife, cut a large, 2.25 oz Tootsie Roll® into thirds or use the smaller, thick Tootsie Rolls® for the mailbox tops.
- Cut Trident® cinnamon gum into “mailbox flag” shapes. Or Satin Ice® red fondant into “mailbox flag” shapes. Attach the red flags to the mailboxes with a small dot of Royal icing(not show in photo). Set aside to dry for an hour or more.
- Apply a dot of royal Icing onto a Peppermint Starlight® mint candy. Place another peppermint on it. Repeat until four peppermints are stacked. *It’s a good idea to stack two peppermints at a time; set aside to dry. Once the icing is dry, stack the four peppermints together. Otherwise, the peppermints will slide as they are drying, creating a leaning mailbox!
- Final step, place the top of the mailbox on top of the stacked peppermints. Set aside to dry overnight.
Candy mailboxes for gingerbread houses are a creative, unique confection for you gingerbread houses!