Basil is my favorite herb to grow because I make lots of basil pesto and freeze it for winter months. Adding it to soups and sauces reminds me of the carefree summer days during the cold winter months!
Watch now for tips on growing basil . . .
With the abundance of basil in the summer, It's a great time to make pesto. Add a high-quality extra virgin olive oil such as Texas Olive Ranch's olive oil for the best flavor!
Enjoy with pasta, sandwiches, soups, and sauces!
- 3-4 cups fresh basil, stems removed
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, stems removed
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In the bowl of a food processor, puree the garlic cloves. Add the basil, parsley and olive oil, puree briefly.
Add the pine nuts and Parmesan cheese; puree briefly.
Add salt and pepper to taste; puree briefly.